Kara Atwood was named City Secretary in February 2012. She has been employed with the City of Lufkin since 1998. As City Secretary she is responsible for the
management, organization and processing of all official records of the City as well as the preparation of all City Council meeting documents along with conducting all
Municipal elections. Kara is a Texas Registered Municipal Clerk as well as a Certified Municipal Clerk and Athenian Fellow through the International Institute of Municipal
Clerks (IIMC). She is also an active member of the Texas Municipal Clerks Association (TMCA) and serves as President of the local Pineywoods Chapter of TMCA. Kara is married
and has three daughters.
May 2017 Municipal Election Filing Information
The City of Lufkin will hold a Municipal Election on May 6th, 2017. In 2017, the following positions will be elected:
• Councilmember Ward No. 5
• Councilmember Ward No. 6
The first day for filing an application for a place on the ballot is Wednesday, January 18th, 2017. An individual may file for the City Council Election in the office of the City Secretary beginning at 8:00 a.m. Wednesday, January 18th, 2017, through Friday, February 17th, 2017 at 5:00 p.m.
Candidates must meet the following criteria in order to be eligible for a place on the ballot:
• Be at least twenty-one (21) years of age*
• A registered voter in the political subdivision
• A resident of the City of Lufkin for a period no less than twelve (12) months
• A resident of the Ward for a period of no less than six (6) months
* Although the City of Lufkin Charter requires that candidates be twenty-five (25) years of age and reside in the City for a period of no less than two (2) years, Section 141.003 of the Texas Election Code supersedes this requirement.
Interested Candidates may secure an Initial filing packet through this link, or in person through the City Secretary’s office located in Room 145 of the Lufkin City Hall, 300 East Shepherd Ave, Lufkin, Texas.
If you need further information, please do not hesitate to contact our office at 936-633-0244 or by email: firstname.lastname@example.org