City of Lufkin, 300 E. Shepherd
Lufkin, Texas 75901, 936-634-8881

Engineering Services Department
Inspection Services Division


Permit Review
Floodplain Management
Drainage Studies
Drainage Criteria Manual
GIS Maps Overview
GIS On Line Mapping
Water and Sewer Taps
Tap Fees
Plat Review
Building Permit
Subdivision Plats
GPS Monumentation
Subdivision Ordinance
Technical Standards
Utility Extension Policy
Water Quality Report
Kurth Lake

Inspection Services

Report a Code Violation
Code Enforcement
Building Permit
Building Permit Information
Permit Fee Schedule
Tap Fees
City Charter & Ordinances
Code Enforcement Map

Planning & Zoning

P & Z and BOAA Agendas
P & Z Meeting Schedule
Zone Changes
Zoning Ordinance Information
Zoning Ordinance PDF
Zoning Application
Comprehensive Plan
Contact Us
Board of Adjustments and Appeals
P & Z Commission
Special Use Permit
Permitted Uses Info
Permitted Uses Chart
Landscape Requirements PDF



As a homeowner can I be my own contractor and do I need a building permit?

Yes! The building code allows a homeowner to perform construction work on their own home provided they obtain a building permit and comply with all codes.

Back to Top

What information do I need to provide the city in order to obtain a building permit?

  1. Address of Property
  2. Name, address, and phone number of owner.
  3. Site plan with lot dimensions.
  4. Floor plan showing existing and proposed changes.
  5. Total value of work to be performed.
  6. Name of electrician, plumber, A/C contractors.
Back to Top

When must I pull a permit and how long does it take for a building permit to be approved?

A permit must be pulled when doing any construction work within the city limits. This includes roofing, storage buildings, fences, signs, carports, etc. If you are not sure if you need a permit, please call our office at 936/633-0248. Most building permits will be approved within 3-5 working days. Large residential or commercial projects may take longer depending on the size and detail of the individual project.

Back to Top

As a business owner or rental property owner can I do plumbing, air conditioning, or electrical work on my property?

No! The city ordinances and building codes require that only licensed professionals perform this work.

Back to Top

What is a code enforcement violation?

Code enforcement inspects the outside appearance of structures and how property is maintained. Violations can include junked vehicles, unsightly conditions, weeded lots, dilapidated buildings, sewer/water leaks, inoperable vehicles, stagnant water, zoning violations, and general code violations of tree limbs, appliances, clutter, etc.

Back to Top

How do I file a complaint regarding weeded lots or trashy conditions around a house?

Call the Inspection Services Department at (936) 633-0298. Your complaint can be filed over the phone or you may file a complaint by filling out the appropriate form and submitting it online.

Back to Top